Social Icons

Friday, January 1, 2016

Resort Dive Left Me Hooked.

As a kid I grew up in the water. I was always swimming, snorkeling, sailing, and boating.  I have always been fascinated by what lurks below. For my birthday last year my friends signed me up for a resort dive during our vacation on Grand Bahama Island.

There aren't too many options on Grand Bahama but the folks at the Caribbean Divers at Bell Channel Inn were great.They are located in the Lucaya area of Grand Bahama Island. Our instructor Presley Knowles got us all outfitted with wetsuits, tanks, regulators, BCD, weights, etc. Before we could dive in the ocean we needed to demonstrate we could follow instructions and could learn the basic skills of diving.

We all got into the small salt water pool at the Bell Channel Inn with all our gear and learned how to clear a flooded mask, how to locate and clear our regulator if it should get dislodged, demonstrated we could swim. Pretty simple although I forgot to purge the regulator and swallowed a little water. After a successful pool training sessions we loaded all our gear on to the boat with the help of Presley's nephew Jerry, who would be guiding us at the dive site.

Once I entered the water with a big splash I immediately knew I was going to have a blast. By the end of the 45 minute dive and all boarding the boat for the ride home it was obvious we all enjoyed it enough that getting certified was definitely on the table.

You can read more about my first dive on my Day Zero Project entry. Scuba Diving: Grand Bahama


No comments:

Post a Comment